Technology, Information and Internet
Cloud Support Engineer Job Description
Amazon is now offering flexibility to choose among 3 different working models, in-office, hybrid, and virtual. Please, check below further information:
- In Office: Employees will be office based for the majority of their time. Employees on an in-office work pattern will be assigned a desk in an Amazon building. Employees will be required to reside within a commutable distance of the office they are assigned to (Cape Town/Johannesburg).
- Hybrid: Employees will be required to reside within a commutable distance of the office they are assigned to (Cape Town/Johannesburg), but have the flexibility to regularly work from home as well as from the office. Employees on a Hybrid work pattern will be expected to attend at their assigned office a minimum of one day per week. These employees will follow agile seating when in office.
- Virtual Workers: Employees must be based in South Africa, and are not generally required to attend an office facility. If needed, all WFH employees can attend an office for critical trainings, meetings and team-building events. These employees will follow agile seating when in office.
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the ‘Cloud Ambassador’ across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
If you fit the description, you might be the person we are looking for! We are a group of smart people, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
- Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
- Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers’ individual needs.
- Interact with leading engineers around the world.
- Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
- Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
- Drive customer communication during critical events.
- Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers’ technical support experience.
- Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
- Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
- First and foremost this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
- On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
- Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
- Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
- Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
- We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
- Support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
- As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, working hours and days are based on customer demand and may include weekends.
The Database role supports our services that focus on Databases technologies, including Amazon Aurora, DynamoDB, Redshift, Athena, as well as AWS Database Migration Service, Data Pipeline, Glue and more.
- 3+ years Advanced administration experience with (1) of the following Database engines: MySQL / Oracle /
- PostgreSQL / MariaDB / SQL Server / Amazon Aurora
- Experience with System Administration with Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat) and/or Microsoft Windows Server and associated technologies (Active Directory, Exchange)
- Advanced experience with Networking and troubleshooting (TCP/IP, DNS, routing, switching, firewalls,
- LAN/WAN, traceroute, iperf, dig, cURL or related)
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science,
- Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR equivalent experience in a technical position
- Strong analysis and troubleshooting skills and experience
- Database troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Experienced setting up monitoring / alarming for production DB environments
- Database migration and ETL experience
- Experience with NoSQL technologies like DynamoDB, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra or Riak
- Experienced with Linux system monitoring and analysis
- Good understanding of distributed computing environments
- Experience with query analyzers and query tuning / slow query optimization etc.
- Exposure to Virtualization (VMware, Xen, Hypervisor)
- Prior working experience with AWS – any or all of EC2, S3, EBS, ELB, RDS, Dynamo DB, EMR
- Exposure to security concepts / best practices
- Expertise with Load Balancing, Iperf, MTR, netcat, and other network monitoring / troubleshooting tools
- Experience Troubleshooting the full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications.