Technology, Information and Internet
Senior Applied Scientist Job Description
This position requires superior analytical thinkers, able to approach large ambiguous problems and apply their technical and statistical knowledge to identify opportunities for further research. You should be able to independently mine and analyze data, and be able to use any necessary programming and statistical analysis software to do so. Successful candidates must thrive in fast-paced environments which encourage collaborative and creative problem solving, be able to measure and estimate risks, constructively critique peer research, and align research focuses with the Amazon’s strategic needs.
- Interact with various software and business groups to develop an understanding of their business requirements and operational processes.
- Apply the acquired knowledge and business judgment to build decision-supporting and operational tools to improve the bottom line.
- Build quantitative mathematical models to represent a wide range of supply chain, transportation and logistics systems.
- Perform quantitative, economic, and numerical analysis of the performance of these systems under uncertainty using statistical and optimization tools such as R, Python and XPRESS to find both exact and heuristic solution strategies for optimization problems.
- Create computer simulations to support operational decision-making. Identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to generate requirements that can realize these improvements.
- Apply Mathematical optimization techniques, including Linear Programming, Integer Programming, Dynamic Programming, Network optimization algorithms to design optimal or near optimal solution methodologies to be used by in-house decision support tools and software.
- Apply Machine Learning and regression techniques to tackle predictive modeling problems.
- Create software prototypes to verify and validate the devised solutions methodologies.
To help describe some of our challenges, we created a short video about Supply Chain Optimization at Amazon – http://bit.ly/amazon-scot
- PhD degree in operations research, statistics, applied math, computer science, engineering, or related technical/scientific field
- Strong fundamentals of statistics and probability, particularly their application in systems analysis and operations research.
- Fluency in at least one programming or scripting language (e.g. Python, Java, C, C++).
- Experience with SQL and Statistical Computing tools (e.g. R, SPSS).
- Strong problem solving and data analysis skills.
- Experience with fast prototyping
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 6+ years of related work experience.
- Experience with design, application, and optimization of complex logistics software management systems.
- Experience with control solutions like PID Controllers.
- Professional experience with inventory planning and supply chain management (forecasting, planning, optimization, and/or logistics).
- Experience working with data mining on large datasets (“big data”).
- 10+ years of related work experience.