Website Scatec ASA
This work as a career listing is about Scatec ASA in Blantyre, Southern Region, Malawi, Malawi 2022 exclusively on jobsrytr.com
Main purpose of position
Currently we are looking for an Environmental Unit Expert in Blantyre, Malawi on a Fixed Term Contract for 2 years to be part of our global team working together towards our vision – Improving our future. As The Environmental Unit Expert, you will lead the Environmental and Biodiversity components of the Mpatamanga Hydropower Project in compliance with Malawi National Regulations and International standards (IFC PS, WB ESF, AfDB, Equator Principles 4, etc.) Under the supervision of the E&S Manager, he/she plays a critical role in the management of the Environmental and Social (E&S) team. One of the key stakes of this Project is Biodiversity management (both terrestrial and aquatic)
- Lead the organisation and management of environmental activities and studies and produce environmental and biodiversity plans in line with national and international standards, and Partners’ requirements
- Support all relevant documentation in accordance with above standards (for example, ensuring that Project bidding documents and contracts include necessary environmental protection and monitoring provisions)
- Support the liaison between the Project, consultants, and the IFIs/lenders with regards to environmental and biodiversity issues
- Lead the discussions/negotiations with IFIs/lenders re. the need for additional studies to ensure compliance with their standardsequirements
- Lead the discussions/negotiations with lenders and national authorities re. the Project’s Environmental commitments as articulated in environmental mitigation and compensation Plans (including biodiversity offsets);
- Prepare ToRs and manage the tendering, contracting, and implementation process of additional Environmental and biodiversity studies, as needed. Select consultants in charge of conducting additional studies and plans
- Support the Project’s stakeholder engagement program working in close coordination with the MHPL Social Unit
- Leader/Expert and the Government of Malawi’s Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
- Manage the work program of the Consultants responsible for the ESIA and BAP, and the Environmental and biodiversity components of the Cumulative Impact Assessment (CIA) and Resettlement and Livelihood Restoration
- Action Plan (RLRAP). In coordination with the Social Unit Leader/Expert, organise a system to closely follow-up progress and ensure the quality and timeliness of work and deliverables
- Manage the work program of other Consultants undertaking Environmental and biodiversity studies; including as regards flora and fauna management
- Ensure the robustness of biodiversity and related environmental baselines
- Prepare and manage budgets for environmental and biodiversity programs, including as regards Environmental team staffing
- Finalise and implement the BAP
- Finalise and jointly implement and/or monitor the ESIA, ESMMPs and CIA Management Plan
- In coordination with the Social Unit Leader/Expert, define KPIs for BAP, ESMP, CIA implementation
- Manage monitoring and reporting of Environmental team performance, including Consultant performance
- Develop and build the organisational capacity of an Environmental Team during the course of the development phase (composed of a watershed team and biodiversity program team)
Qualifications And Competencies
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental sciences, policy or management, or related field.
- Minimum of 15 years overall professional experience, with at least 5 years of work experience in the hydropower sector or with government agencies and International Finance Institutions in a similar position.
- Experience in a similar position and/or experience in Africa would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience in: Designing / implementing components of Environmental Management Plans and, in particular, Biodiversity
- Action / Biodiversity Evaluation and Monitoring Plans in a similar context
- Producing documents in compliance with national and IFI’s/lenders requirements
- Leading exchanges and negotiations with lenders (and their advisors) during the development phase, until Financial close
- Strengthening the skills and experience of national personnel in working to IFI standards for private sector led and PPP projects
- Demonstrated experience in Hydropower project development would be a strong asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable theory, methods and practice in environmental science, impact assessment and environmental management, including biodiversity issues.
- Skills in data and information synthesis for both technical and general audiences.
- Assessment and evaluation capabilities.
- An ability to source and filter information for transfer to stakeholders, including at community level
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with all levels of society (e.g., traditional leaders, communities, private sector).
- Demonstrated event management and time management skills.
- Proven experience with basic IT tools and digital platforms including GIS and database management
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with various stakeholders
For the particular role we also expect
- Must be able to work extended hours
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- French and/or Chichewa language skills highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, customer and goal oriented
- Leading cross-cultural teams
- Working in a multi-cultural context and on large infrastructure projects
- Must be able to work overtime according to operational needs
- Must be available to travel regularly
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Company: Scatec ASA
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Blantyre, Southern Region, Malawi, Malawi
Application Deadline: N/A