Website Anglo American
This Job Listing is about Anglo American in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa 2022
About the job
In your role as a Geophyiscal Data Processor, you will be responsible for the processing of marine geophysical data acquired by autonomous underwater vehicles as well as conventionally acquired data. The geophysical data will include, but not be limited to, navigation data, side scan sonar, sub bottom profiler, multibeam echosounder and shallow seismic data.
Data processing will include generation of final bathymetry maps, side scan sonar mosaics, 3D seismic volumes and seismic sections for delivery to client specifications. The incumbent shall also be responsible for the quality assurance and quality control of the geophysical data.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring all data is processed in a standard technique with reference to the relevant procedure.
- Conducting timeous verification of all geophysical data.
- Monitoring the processing software and ensures the functionality of equipment.
- Being accountable for data processing systems mobilisation, installation and testing prior to campaigns.
- Conducting the fusion of data sets into a GIS system to test positioning across datasets from various sensors.
- Effective asset control and planned maintenance of equipment in data management facility.
- Ensure data quality control standards by efficient quality assurance and control processes.
The position is predominantly offshore based
- BSc Degree in Geophysics/ Geology/ Oceanography or similar related Earth Science field
- Desire to work at sea
- National Police Clearance (NPC)
- Valid Code 08/EB Driver’s License
- Knowledge/ experience in geophysical data processing, satellite or remote sensing data processing, sonar processing, image processing, understanding of marine geology, experience in QPS Qinsy and QPS Qimera, matlab experience.
- Detailed understanding of the following systems:
- Geophysical Processing Software Packages
- Geophysical Processing Methods
- Geophysical techniques Data Management Systems
- Geophysical Acquisition Systems
- Capably of applying exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work at sea in an operational capacity both locally and overseas
- Understanding of basic geodesy
Who we are:
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers and the world around us.
De Beers Marine (DBM) is based in Cape Town, South Africa and is part of the De Beers Group. Operations include marine geophysical survey, sampling, and mining. Shore based activities include projects, engineering, R&D and maintenance. Projects include establishment and development of a fleet of mining ships and all associated equipment. DBM is the industry leader in marine mining practices resulting in the most successful and advanced marine mining equipment and operations globally. We seek talented people who share our belief in a better future for mining and are ready to make a difference.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
How to apply
Submit applications on or before the CLOSING DATE: 19th February 2022
Since safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have become widely available this year, we have strongly encouraged employees to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. However, as vaccines have been proven to be a very effective and safe way of protecting people and reducing Covid-19 transmission, we have now announced our intent to introduce a policy that requires Covid-19 vaccination for access to all sites and offices. This policy would apply to all new joiners to the company as well as existing employees and contractors.
We are in the process of undertaking a comprehensive engagement process with all our stakeholders about our intent. This is so we can tailor our approach in each country, including ensuring what we do is lawful. Once this is complete, we will look to implement the policy. There may be differences in how and when it is implemented due to local context and legal requirements.
Company: Anglo American
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Associate
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A