Website Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Research Programme
This work as a career listing is about Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Research Programme in Blantyre, Southern Region, Malawi, Malawi 2022 exclusively on jobsrytr.com
The Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Clinical Research Programme (MLW) (http://www.mlw.mw) is an internationally recognised centre for research and research training, affiliated to the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS). MLW has 2 aims, to conduct excellent research to benefit health and train the next generation of researcher. Our Blantyre based offices located within the vicinity of the largest hospital in Malawi, Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) provide for the optimum research environment.
It was established in 1995 and became a Wellcome Africa and Asia Program (AAP) in 2003. MLW has established itself as an internationally recognised centre for research excellence and research training. The current structure supports 16 locally led research groups each of which have translational targets and a pipeline of trainees to develop their strategy, grant funding and clinical impact. Research is described best in 6 Themes – Infection Biology; Vaccines; Maternal Neonatal and Child Health; Social Science; Clinical and Experimental Medicine; Population Health.
MLW is seeking to appoint a talented, well-organised, post-doctoral research associate with strong epidemiological field and analytic skills to support the Infection and Immunity Research group. Suitable candidates will be encouraged and provided with the necessary mentorship to develop a fellowship application to enable onward career progression.
The postholder will lead the data analytical strategy for large studies, including i) PAVE Study: evaluating 2+1 vs 3+0 PCV13 schedule, and ii) SEROSURV Study: establishing a multi-disease sero-surveillance platform to estimate herd immunity, disease transmission magnitude, and vaccination coverage. Data from these projects will help us better evaluate vaccine impact, identify gaps in population level immunity, and inform strategies for reducing the burden of vaccine-preventable diseases in resource-constrained settings. The postholder will part of a multidisciplinary team of epidemiologists, clinicians, immunologists, microbiologists, social scientists and clinical trialists.
The postholder will work with the study teams (esp. Study Coordinators) to maintain high standards of good clinical practice in study design and implementation; recruitment of participants; accurate documentation of research data; and ensure that samples are processed and archived appropriately. The post holder is expected to demonstrate a strong academic ability and aptitude for clinical research; with prior experience in research skills including statistical/ epidemiological analysis, writing reports, project & field team management.
Furthermore, the post holder will work with both Malawi-based and UK-based Senior Investigators (incl. weekly communication) to develop further research activities and strategies.
The post-holder will provide day-to-day oversight of data related activities of the studies and be the main point of contact for the Principal Investigators on the same.
The post-holder will:
- Contribute to the overall research strategy and operational activities of studies under the supervision of the PIs and Infection and Immunity Research Group.
- Liaise with the MLW laboratory teams/ managers to ensure the consistent and accurate processing of laboratory specimens.
- Ensure SOPs are in place and implemented for Data Management, including correct documentation/CRFs on enrolled study participants and ensuring completeness of all documentation regarding study participants.
- Ensure Electronic Data Capturing methods are followed well and teams are supplied with adequate research tools.
- Develop and implement study data analysis plans, working with the PI and independently.
- Ensure that all study procedures are carried out in good order, including that all data are collected and accurately captured.
- Monitor data collection quality and data entry, including database management with support from the MLW Data Management team.
4. Ensure that appropriate ethical approvals are maintained for the trial and updates are submitted as necessary
- Regular liaison with the Principal Investigators.
- Collaborate with statistical expertise at MLW and elsewhere (UoL, UCL etc).
- Lead the dissemination of the outcomes of this research via publication in the scientific literature, presentations at conferences and other appropriate media.
Company: Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Research Programme
Vacancy Type: Contract
Job Location: Blantyre, Southern Region, Malawi, Malawi
Application Deadline: N/A