This Job Listing is about Oracle in Western Cape, South Africa 2022
About the job
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
Regional Data Centre Director, EMEA
Are you interested in being part of our organization supporting hyperscale distributed infrastructure for the cloud? Oracle’s Data Centre team is rapidly expanding with new regions and sites across EMEA. Not only does this job involve running existing sites and their exponential growth but also involves bringing online our new regions in new territories, quickly, efficiently in a repeatable fashion.
We’re looking for an experienced leader, with strong people management experience, business acumen and a well-rounded IT technical skillset (at scale) to lead the teams responsible for building and supporting our cloud data centres in EMEA. The successful candidate will have all 3 of these attributes in equal measure and be self-driven at a high level.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
As the Data Centre Operations Region Director you will own and manage teams responsible for the availability of the Oracle’s Cloud Infrastructure in data centres spread across several countries in EMEA.
This involves managing the physical sites, the teams that operate these sites, and managing the colocation partners we may utilise.
This role is a manager of managers and as such you should be an experienced manager of diverse teams, able to navigate local customs, laws & employment directives, strong people management ability and a deep technical grounding in the physical aspects of IT Service Delivery.
Typical functions that you will be expected to manage as part of the day to day of the role are:
- Manage the day to day operations of all Data Centre sites under your area, in a 24/7 mission critical environment
- Responsible for ensuring timely delivery of services/tasks to meet project milestones.
- Working with project managers to guide their actions and provide ‘on-the-ground’ advice / support.
- Ensuring the quality benchmark is upheld for new sites / regions / deployments and being the gate keeper of this.
- Driving the delivery of improvements and providing detailed, actionable feedback in project reviews / lesson learnt activities.
- Interacting across functional areas and teams (e.g. Engineering, Build, Site Selection, Business Operations etc.).
- Reacting to and managing any incidents that occur, driving resolution and After Action analysis.
- Capacity expansions at all scales (rack additions, block additions, whitespace growth, new sites)
- Drive appropriate recruitment in different countries at a fast pace, ensuring the employment of high-quality team members with a passion for excellence
- Driving a culture of continual improvement and learning throughout everything you do.
You should value simplicity and scale, work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment, and be excited to learn. At this level, you are given autonomy to make your own mark, drive things forward and make a difference. We expect you to help us scale and to do this collaboratively across teams, departments and organisational silos in a frictionless manner.
Work with a world class team to implement and support cutting edge Oracle technology in Cloud Data Centres. This involves working on the build out of new sites and regions, hiring new teams and staff, working with local stakeholders such as HR, Workers Councils, Sales and other departments as well as vendors to Oracle.
To be successful in this role we believe you will need to have the following experience, but we also expect you to bring your own unique experiences to the position. Not everyone is the same and we value individual critical thinking and wide perspectives that we may not have had before.
- Define and implement alternative resourcing strategies to ensure full coverage
- Negotiating and working with local vendors, and will be expected to drive performance and expectations
- Work closely with Human Resources and any local Workers Council to ensure the best possible relationship and care for Oracle employees.
- Implement processes and best practices to conform to local laws, policies, and procedures.
- Grow your teams, provide progression, leadership, guidance, and training to allow them to excel.
- Participate in Talent review process, performance management, and other topics pertaining to effective people management.
- Understand how to manage managers for the best outcome and self sufficiency.
- Effective upwards reporting of progress, KPIs, incidents and other topics
- Strategic thinking, always asking ‘How does this scale up ?’
- Focus and prioritise appropriately on what is most important at any point in time and ability to task-shift rapidly.
- Working as a key stakeholder on immovable deadline projects will also be a crucial part of the engagement.
About the Role:
Do you have what it takes: experience leading growing teams in the development of large scale distributed Management Services, designing and developing the Infrastructure as a services platform that drives Public Cloud, PaaS and SaaS offerings. As the Data Centre Operations Region Director you will lead teams tasked with providing 24/7 Cloud Data Centres support for our Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. Reporting into the European Senior Director of Data Centre Operations, the position is a remote position, based in mainland Europe, the UK or Ireland. The ideal candidate will have a passion for leading, developing, mentoring, and growing a dedicated and talented team of our engineers in our Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Data Centres.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing leadership, direction, and operational excellence in the regional Data Centres.
- Working at a global level with peers to achieve consistency and avoid region variability at all costs.
- Establishing and development of teams to execute to requirements.
- Working with distributed teams and contributing to the success of his/her team and other related teams.
- Coaching and mentoring managers and individual contributors across the organization.
- Growing the team by recruiting and hiring top talent in diverse marketplaces.
- Delivering expansion projects on-time with high quality.
- Collaborating and working effectively with best in class architects, engineers, product managers, QA and Documentation teams.
You can expect:
- A stable environment with low turnover at one of the world’s largest IT companies.
- A merit-based organization.
- A fast-growing environment (both infrastructure and organisational size).
- Challenging and diverse projects.
- Tremendous personal & professional growth and learning opportunities.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
What you need to know to be successful in this role:
- Proven IT leadership and management in the technology market.
- Vendor relationship management and negotiations experience.
- Adaptable and a change catalyst with demonstrated experience.
- A track record of an ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
- Fluent English written and verbal
- BA/BS degree preferred.
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Mid-Senior level
Job Location: Western Cape, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A